Moving Day at BPLP
Posted by bigpresslittlepress on Jan 19 2014, in Our Operations
Last week we moved in a new printer into Big Press Little Press – a 10×15 Chandler and Price. The move itself was quite an experience. We really didn’t know what we were getting into, but thanks to briar press, we quickly learned a lot about moving these machines. We stuck largely to the method described here http://excelsiorpress.org/reference_html/movingapresssafely.html with some minor adjustments to fit our needs.
I’ll try to describe the challenging parts of our move in case anyone else in a similar situation. We had a very tight space to get the press out of. There was a large paper cutter in the room with one way (the long way) around it. We used rollers to move the press which was surprisingly easy to do. I had baseball bat rejects which were solid wood and about 3 1/2″ in diameter, but I’m sure steel pipe works just as well. With the press on rollers two people can move it with very little physical strength. I also had a 6′-0″ pry bar that I used to help scoot the press around some of its tight turns.
We also had the advantage of being able to tear down a doorway that the press wouldn’t fit through. Time consuming yes, but it beat taking apart the press more than I really knew how to. The owner was wonderful in letting us do whatever we needed to do to get the press out
To get it out the front door (8″ drop to the sidewalk) I purchased aluminum ramp kits from Lowes rated for 700 lbs each. I used 4 in total attached to 2x8s and then also put blocking underneath them to support the weight even more. We also used a come along to lower the press down the ramps. Maybe we could have handled the weight, but we didn’t want to risk it getting away from us.
Once we had it situated on the trailer, (also used the come along to get it up onto the trailer) I knocked out the rollers from underneath it and secured it with 4 ratchets rated for 3,333 lbs.
It towed nice, and this is coming from someone who has never towed anything with a truck before. (rented Uhaul truck and 5×9 trailer)
Once home, the last tough part we had was getting it off the trailer. I couldn’t get the leverage needed to lift up the press to get a roller underneath it (I should note that I used a motorcycle jack with a pry bar wedged under the legs to lift the press. We tried very hard to avoid lifting the press by way of any moving part). So we used the come along one more time, tied to a support in my garage to drag the press off the trailer and onto the rollers on the ramp. Since I had the wooden ramps from earlier, I also used them instead of the trailer ramp to reduce the downward slope.
All in all it took 3 people about 6 or 7 hours to do the move with only about 15 minutes of driving. There were other small complications in there, but those were the big ones we dealt with and the rest of what we did mirrors the explanation on the link above.
We are super thrilled to have this home and in one piece and are forever grateful to those who have already written about moving these presses. Also to our help, Bob Kelemen and the former owner of the press Laraine Hicks, we could not have gotten this home without you.